Saturday, April 10, 2010

Mean Person

I am a mean person. I tell people this and they say gasp and say, "No way! You? I don't believe it." I tell them they should see me at work. I don't think people at work would gasp and deny my meanness.

Why am I mean at work? Well, I get overwhelmed. I don't think work is necessarily overwhelming but the 596 other things I have going on outside of work can be overwhelming. But at work, I have 200 students who I advise asking me questions. Hence, I get mean. By mean, I mean to say that I do not follow the golden rule and treat people as I want to be treated. Instead, I treat people as though they are annoying me and have clearly invaded the Amalie zone of space and time. They are intruders and I attack.

Jesus keeps me from being mean. My current levels of meanness are directly related to amount of time spent with God. I actually used to be a really really mean person. Super mean. Ask my parents. They will attest to how mean I was at the age of 19. Good thing I met Jesus when I was 20 or else I might now be currently on Judge Judy for yelling at police officers (something I did before the age of 20). I have softened with time and with God.

I apologize to all my co-workers and students whom I advise for my behavior over the last few weeks. These poor innocents have had to bear the Amalie who does not get alone with God. Like I said, she is a mean person.

1 comment:

  1. I would never believe this post, but if you don't come back soon, I might. :-)

    ReplyDelete